Thursday, July 25, 2013

ingredient: couscous ... regular couscous

I only tried one recipe this week as I wasn't sure how versatile this ingredient would be, meaning sweet vs. savory. This is my first time cooking with couscous (regular couscous), and I got this recipe from For The Love Of Cooking. It is a Parmesan Couscous with Roasted Garlic, Toasted Pine Nuts and Caramelized Onions ... all items I absolutely adore. Please visit the site for the recipe.

Here is the pic of my finished product:


So first, let me say, the only difference I made was to omit the parsley, simply because I didn't have any on hand. Second, it was an absolutely wonderful flavor combination. I'm a huge fan of roasted garlic; the smell of it is one of the best in the kitchen in my book. The pine nuts and caramelized onions made a great sweet and crunchy balance, and I'm sure the parsley would be a nice addition as well. 

But, I do not like the texture of this couscous ... at all. It's extremely fine and grainy, and I just could not get used to it. It's one of the few leftovers that I threw out but only for this reason. If you're curious as to the couscous I used, it was the whole wheat couscous from Trader Joe's. 

So, I will definitely be making this again in the near future but will try with israeli couscous the next time around as it is larger in size and, I feel, a much better texture. I would highly recommend this!

No comments:

Post a Comment