Monday, May 13, 2013

destination: two urban licks

Before starting this blog and upon moving to Atlanta, my husband and I started researching the food scene. We're (learning how to be ...) foodies and are definitely Top Chef fans, so of course we looked up two of our fav chefs in Atlanta: Richard Blais and Kevin Gillespie.

With this, we found Concentrics Restaurant Group and decided upon a bucket list item for 2013: to eat at each restaurant within the Concentrics Group at some point this year (yes, this year = we're on a budget) based on looking only at their website and a couple of menus. I'm a sucker for beautiful logos, sleek restaurant design, and moving higher up on this list, just good food. So, Concentrics, keep your graphic designer/agency as I will be eating at many of your establishments this year based on your website alone.

Although it's not the first restaurant we've been to in Atlanta that I will highlight, it is the first for the blog as IT IS THAT GOOD. I hate using all caps; it must be warranted. But, I will not edit as that is my first reaction. I'm still drooling thinking about it.

It was my birthday treat last Saturday (yes, thank you for wishing me a happy birthday via your computer/iPad/mobile device), and my husband picked TWO urban licks. Here's a play by play of what we ordered ... forgive the dark photos as I forgot to use the flash on my phone. Crazy excitement, I guess.


First up: brisket empanadas
(I'm new to empanadas as well - it's just like a turnover/pastry filled with goodness,
which in this case, happened to be the only brisket I have ever loved.)




Main course: duck with a crazy, good sauce that's indescribable




Bday dessert: chocolate cake
(This was okay but not graced with the same excitement as the above items.
It was free and my choice, so one cannot complain.
It was rich chocolate cake with a little vanilla milk shot, which was divine.)



This is definitely one of the best meals I've had in Atlanta so far. If you haven't been before, it's in a cool warehouse with a bit of a mess of a parking lot. Valet is complimentary though, so that's a wonderful perk.

Yes, I'm still getting used to the difference between Midtown, Downtown, Five Points, Little Five Points, etc. and it may or may not fall into any of those categories as I think it would be considered Old 4th Ward. This blog will not help you get to any of these destinations as I'm directionally challenged. Google map everything.

Live music, great atmosphere and killer food - go there!

No comments:

Post a Comment